Thursday, September 23, 2010

3x800m intervals

Today's workout was 3 x 800m intervals with a 2min rest between.  For some reason, I'm always comforted by a workout that has a mandatory rest period in it (haha), I should know better by now, that the workouts with a rest period, are really hard.  I wasn't sure really what to expect.  Mike had done our splits off of our 5k baseline and the time he told me was 5:40/split.  I was fine with that.  I had gotten my head around it's only 1.5 miles, not that bad.  Intervals make a big difference in developing speed, endurance - I think I'm a bigger fan of the 4x400 distance :-)

Round 1 felt really good, I only walked for 10 seconds, kept my form for a decent chunk of the route.  Round 2, started out feeling good and then I got really tired, was slouching, looking down, I walked about 2 blocks total.  Mike told me for Round 3 to just slow down, but keep moving.  I tried, but just before the turnaround point I started walking for about 20 seconds, then I had to walk 1 block a little bit later.  I really recognized tonight, how much of a mental weakness this is for me.  Physically I should have been able to run all 3 rounds (slowly).  But, I am so programmed to run/walking that when I get breathing really heavy and tired, I've convinced myself that I have to walk.  I'm trying hard to not be so disappointed in myself over this.  I have to keep practicing and not allowing myself to just stop and walk.  On the walk back to the box I was trying to think the last time I ran a mile straight - not stopping.  I think it was in high school.  I didn't run at all in college, except for intramural basketball games, but that was always stop & go.

not 100% sure, but I think these were my splits.
Round 1 = 4:35
Round 2 = 5:20
Round 3 = 5:35

Nutrition:
I did really well today and yesterday.  I kept my calorie total to about 1,300.  I've started to try and eat fish 3x a week.  I like fish, but don't really know how to cook it well, so I've been experimenting, so far nothing has been that bad/too overcooked.  Tuesday I had a minor slip up involving some cheese flavored Combos, but in the grand scheme of things it wasn't disastrous.  Interestingly enough though, as much as I enjoyed the salty goodness when it were going down, I felt like garbage about 1 hour later.  I was surprised at how much I could really feel a difference.

1 comment:

  1. Whitefish, Tilapia, Walleye, whatever. Broil or grill it (use aluminum foil (with cooking spray) under it on the grill) with 1 tsp of butter on top in little chunks, a hint of salt, and some dill. It's the only way to cook a nice light fish, as far as I'm concerned.
    -beery

    ReplyDelete