Sunday, October 24, 2010

Twist on Tuna Salad

I haven't posted very much this week.  I sprained my ankle on Wednesday night and haven't been able to workout since then, although today was the first day pain-free so I think I'm good to get back at it starting tomorrow.  It actually felt weird not going the last couple of days, I'll take that as a good sign.  My nutrition has been solid this week. I went out to dinner Thursday, Friday & Saturday but did well.  I had a cheat meal Saturday night at Uncle Julio's, I know it's so bad, but I love the "liquid cheese" aka queso dip.  We had been at the Michigan State vs. Northwestern football game Saturday, thankfully Sparty pulled off a victory after a scary 1st half.  I have been able to keep to my no drinking so far - 2 weeks with no alcohol.  It's been tough a few times, especially with all my friends around and everyone else putting it down.  I just keep reminding myself that it will all pay off.  So far, so good.

I finally tried a recipe I've been wanting to make for awhile. Costco has great Ahi Tuna and really well priced, so I made this salad with a few modifications (added below) and it was delicious!

Tuna Salad - the Barefoot Contessa

2 pounds very fresh tuna steak, cut 1-inch thick
4 Tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black, plus extra for sprinkling
2 limes, zest grated
1 teaspoon wasabi powder (I didn't have any, but it tasted great w/o it)
6 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
2 teaspoons soy sauce
10 dashes hot sauce (more to taste)
1 to 2 ripe Hass avocados, medium diced 
1 rib celery - thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
1/4 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (2 scallions)
1/4 cup red onion, small diced

Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the tuna steaks in a very hot saute pan and cook for only 1 minute on each side. Set aside on a platter.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, lime zest, wasabi, lime juice, soy sauce and hot sauce. Add the avocados to the vinaigrette.
While still hot, cut the tuna in chunks and place it in a large bowl. Add the celery, parsley, scallions and red onion and mix well. Pour the vinaigrette mixture over the tuna and carefully mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment