Sunday, October 17, 2010

Making peace with the 5K

This morning I did the Harvest Run 5k at Lake Forest Academy with Bryan & Amy.  It was actually a lot of fun.  The campus is beautiful & all the trees were in full fall color.

I improved my time by 1 min since the baseline for the Endurance on-ramp program.  The best part of today was the realization I had.  I wasn't very excited to do the race to begin with and sincerely was nervous when I saw how small this race really was.  there were maybe 100 - 125 people there, almost everyone looked like they were in very good shape.  I got a sinking feeling in my stomach that it was possible I was going to finish last.  I started to get really crabby & pissy about even being there.  I hadn't ran in almost 3 weeks and was regretting it.  The gun shot went off and everyone took off.  Most people were ahead of me, but I started to realize that I felt good.  I had my iPod with me, which was nice to have some distraction, plus, I didn't know where in the world I was. I still did a run/walk interval but I felt strong and while I was semi-relieved each time the walk beeped, I didn't feel like I was dying and couldn't take another step.  The more I went, the better it was, I saw a few other people run/walking and I was ahead of a couple of them & at the same pace as 1 other person.  When I noticed that I wasn't going to be the last one to cross the line, my whole attitude changed and I started to have fun and remembered this wasn't a big deal, everyone else was enjoying themselves....so lighten up Sally and get over yourself already! 

The whole atmosphere at a race is just so great to me.  I had gone to watch the Urbanathalon yesterday and loved it.  That was still on the back of my mind, if I start working harder I can participate & be good in things like that.  if you don't know what it is, you have to check it out http://www.menshealthurbanathlon.com - I am doing this on a relay team next year, I was interested in signing up this year but didn't want to slow a team down, so I went down there yesterday to cheer everyone on and see what it was like.  What a really cool/fun event.  As challenging as it was, all the athletes seemed to love it.  The most inspiring part of the day to me was seeing 4 athletes that each had an amputated leg finish the race. They did the same obstacles as everyone else & they looked awesome.  People were going nuts cheering for them as they slid over cars, climbed a rope later over a CTA bus and then scaled an 8-foot wall!  Talk about not settling with any excuses - it was incredible.  A lot of people from CrossFit Chicago participated & 1 of the relay teams won the event!  out of 244 teams, they came in first!

I decided to increase my membership at CFC to 4 days a week + the Endurance program.  I realize I have to increase my cardio/endurance to get moving on losing more weight. I've been really consistent since Labor Day so I know I'm committed to sticking with it.  The more I go, the more I truly enjoy it.  I can tell the gains I'm making & I'm so much more comfortable being there.


Nutrition:
this weekend was a little bit of a challenge.  We had supper club on Friday night, which I love & we always have really yummy food.  The main was spaghetti bolognese, I brought spaghetti squash to sub for my noodles.  The rest of the meal was pretty good, it definitely has to be called a cheat meal.  Appetizers were stuffed mushrooms and dates wrapped in turkey bacon, filled with goat cheese & walnuts.  the sides were veggies so that was good.  I had intended to pass on the dessert, it was mini cheesecakes (homemade).  I took a nibble and then another & ended up eating the whole thing.  Saturday night I went out to dinner, we went to a sushi restaurant (Macku which was excellent!) but didn't get any rolls.  Ate a lot of sashimi, a bison salad, cod, etc..  So in reality it wasn't that bad, but in terms of being strict & on the challenge track, it probably wasn't super good.  I did weigh myself both Sat & Sun morning and I didn't gain weight, I'll take that.

Tonight, I did a bunch of cooking for the week. I decided to try out some of the paleo recipes a few people had given me & I have to say, they are pretty tasty.  I made chili, coconut chicken & what was supposed to be a fritatta but I ran out of eggs, so it was basically seasoned turkey, with mushrooms, broccoli, garlic & sun-dried tomato on a crust.  I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment